On Thursday, September 17th, the Washington State Wire hosted a virtual debate between the general election candidates for Superintendent of Public Instruction: Chris Reykdal and Maia Espinoza.
The Morning Wire: Keeping you informed on politics, policies, and personalities of Washington State.
Over 1000 viewers registered to watch the candidates debate a variety of topics related to Washington’s K–12 education system during this time of COVID-19, calls for racial equity, and economic contraction.
Some of the topics discussed by the candidates included:
- Managing risk in schools during COVID-19
- Sexual education and Referendum 90
- Educational models and plans to re-open schools
- The candidates’ background and experience
- Education equity
- Spending per student and education budgeting
- Workforce preparation
- Broadband access
- Re-imagining education in Washington State
In case you missed it, you can watch the entire debate here.
Your support matters.
Public service journalism is important today as ever. If you get something from our coverage, please consider making a donation to support our work. Thanks for reading our stuff.